Thursday, 11 July 2013

Mountains and Ice II

Mountains and Ice II

I feel the powers slowly slip from my grasp;

The courage of my people leaving my heart.

The sounds of the land turning and the waters

Still churning, great channels beneath my feet,

Move along as always since the first age.

But now the torrents wash away the blood that I keep

And the earth tears the sweetest memories from my mind.

I lose my way and leave myself to the mercy of the world,

The elements strip me of flesh as well as resilience.

Hot pain and fresh ice take the breath from my body,

I fall to the feet of the spirits, collapsing beneath the stars.

The ghosts of my ancestors watch over my failure.

 Their eyes like bright lights that shine down on my form.

I lie deep within a realm – I cannot seem to return.

The light within me fading; the hope within me waning.

The thoughts of my father, the air becoming tighter –

The defeat will not contain me here forever, enclosed

Within the ice and the grave – I feel I shall rise again


From beneath the shadow of the mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment